January 1, 2004 marked the introduction of the province-wide privacy standard. All businesses engaged in commercial activities in Ontario must now comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) and the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, which it incorporates. These obligations extend to and include all paralegals and paralegal firms, including Vagans Legal services. The Act gives you rights concerning the privacy of your personal information.
Vagans Legal Services is responsible and in care for the personal information we collect and hold. To ensure this accountability, we have developed and published this Firm Policy. Our Vagans Legal services office is located at 1504 Markham Road, Scarborough,Ontario.
Under strict circumstances Vagans Law will disclose your personal information:
- when required or authorized by law to do so;
- consent to the disclosure;
- when services we are providing our you, the client, requires us give your information to third parties, your consent will be implied (unless told otherwise);
- where it be necessary and critical to establish/collect fees;
- where a third party provides administrative services (such as computer or archival file storage)
- if an expert witness/es are required on your behalf;
- if other legal advisors/paralegals/lawyers are hired in other jurisdictions, on your behalf;
- and if the information is already publicly known.
You may request for access to any personal information Vagans Legal Services holds about you by contacting us directly. Summary information is available on request and we will respond to all requests within 30 days of receipt. More detailed requests, which require archive or other retrieval costs, may be subject to our normal professional and disbursement fees. Please note these may take longer to access. All requests for personal information MUST be done in writing. All correspondence can be sent to our Vagans Legal Services located at 1504 Markham Road, Scarborough,Ontario.
Whenever legally practicable, we will allow anonymity in requests. In general these requests must be for information widely available to the public and/or available on our website.
Information provided is not intended to be used as legal advice. Answering of queries does not create a paralegal-client relationship or any fiduciary relationship known in law. For more information please see our disclaimer.
Tag: human rights tribunal, small claims tribunal, tailored legal services